The Debbie Olson Scholarship
Sponsored by West Tualatin View Elementary School Parent Teacher Club
In 1990, the Parent Teacher Club at West TV Elementary School honored long time secretary Debbie Olson by naming a scholarship in her name. Ms. Olson was a strong supporter of higher education and extremely proud of the students at West TV. A scholarship is given to a West TV alum who exemplifies the mission of the school to “ensure that each child will learn at high levels” through academic achievement, community service and extracurricular activities.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE: All West T.V. Alumni. Any high school senior who graduated from West Tualatin View and plans to continue his/her education after high school graduation is eligible for the scholarship.
HOW MUCH: $1,000 will be awarded in the form a check, made payable to the school or college of the scholarship winner’s choice.
INSTRUCTIONS: Complete the APPLICATION, then mail or drop it off with the following information.
• A 500-750 word essay about yourself and your future goals (see application for more details).
• A copy of your transcript, high school activities and awards sheet.
• A letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor, or a composite recommendation you submitted for other college applications or scholarships.
• A letter of recommendation from someone outside of your school.
• Overall outstanding achievement and character that reflects good citizenship and accomplishments.
• Diligence in school work (example: number and types of courses taken).
• Services to others (example: contributions to school and community).
• Well written essay.
DEADLINE: April 29,2022. All applications must be received (by mail or dropped off in person) to:
West TV Elementary School PTC
Attn: Scholarship Committee
8800 SW Leahy Road
Portland, OR 97225
Scholarship Questions: Please email the Scholarship Chair.
The scholarship committee coordinator leads a committee of 5: a school staff volunteer, one community volunteer with no kids at WTV, and two WTV parent volunteers. Preparation begins in January. Please contact the volunteer coordinator if you are interested in chairing the scholarship committee this year.
Volunteer Information: Volunteers select a scholarship candidate.